Whole School - Friday October 19th-- Chandail de Sport- Cheveux fou / Wacky Hair and Sports Jersey Day----Bingo in the afternoon!
Orange Shirt Day
On Monday October 1st, St. Stephen will be participating in Orange Shirt Day to commemorate and educate our students on the history and legacy of the Residential School System. Staff and Students are encouraged to wear orange to show that “Every Child Matters”. Staff and students will engage in age appropriate activities that will focus on anti-racism, anti-bullying and reconciliation. For more information please go to http://www.orangeshirtday.org
Grade Two News!
September 4th, 2018
Welcome to our grade 2 class! It is my pleasure to be teaching your child this year. I look forward to working closely with you and getting to know your child. You are your child’s first teacher, and together we can help your child meet the Provincial expectations for this year. These first few weeks, we will be establishing our routines and classroom rules as we get to know each other. A major emphasis with my students is that effort is more important than ability in achieving success, and that a student’s “job” is to work hard and try their best.
A Scholastic Book Order form will be coming home a few times throughout the year. Please take a moment to look it over. You are under no obligation to buy. If however, any titles interest you, please send in both the form and cheque payable to “Scholastic Canada Ltd.” Scholastic also gives the option to pay online, which I highly reccomend. We are eligible for free books for the classroom each time we send in an order.
A mailbag will be provided on the first day of school. An agenda will also be provided. Your child is asked to return the agenda in the mailbag each day. All parent-teacher correspondence is to be sent via the mailbag and agenda between home and school. The agenda will also be used to list special events, reminders and homework.
The homework program and the home reading program will be sent home in a couple of weeks with a detailed letter explaining how each is run and what is expected .
Students are given two snack times per day in addition to a regular lunch period. Please send two healthy snacks and a lunch with your child on a daily basis. Reusable containers and water bottles are encouraged!
With the exception of this letter, most news and relevant information will be posted on our class website. I have listed the web address at the end of this newsletter.
To prepare our students, the items listed are particularly useful but not mandatory for our grade 2 class:
1. A box of crayons
2. A box of coloured pencil crayons
3. A box of pre-sharpened pencils
5. A box of washable markers
6. 6 glue sticks (we go through these like crazy)
7. A pair of scissors
8. A highlighter
9. A pencil sharpener with a lid
10. 1 box of Kleenex
11. 1 pencil case or box for storage of school supplies
12. 1 box of Large Ziploc bags
13. A pair of running shoes with non-marking soles for gym that will be left at school and used as indoor shoes.
14. A change of clothes (socks, underwear, pants, top) in a labelled Ziploc bag that will be kept in a cupboard throughout the year in case of minor accidents
15. A colouring book or quiet game/activity for indoor recess during inclement weather
16. Four tennis balls for your child’s chair legs as they help to create a quieter environment (also called “Chair Slippers”)
17. A small ruler for underlining titles and dates.
Please label all of your child’s belongings to help avoid lost or misplaced items.
From time to time requests for specific materials will be made via a note in your child’s agenda. Also, check our class website often for newsletters, reminders and important information. We suggest that you bookmark this webpage for easy access.
Thank-you for your cooperation and support. I look forward to working with you and your child!
Your Partner in Education,